• You may opt out from viewing this content at any time.

George Floyd Murder Trial

Dave

Ignoring a problem does not make it go away, that is the mindset that has grown the race division in to what it is today. I am capable of forming my own opinions and am most certainly not "blinkered". I have made my views surrounding mainstream media known before.
I never said ignore the problem, I said the underlying issues need to be looked at, but crying 'racism' or 'racist' for every little thing only exacerbates the situation and it instils fear
You have taken one shooting portrayed in the media and suited it to your rhetoric.
That is an assumption on your part - that was never my intention to use that video to suit my rhetoric, it was used to illustrate the mentality of the media and how police are more often portrayed to be bad. That was just one example, I could pull many, many more that illustrate the same mentality towards the police.
So using these statistics it could be argued that the police do indeed disproportionately shoot black Americans.
As the statistics illustrate if there is a disproportionate crime rate that is a result of poor neighbourhoods and they are attacking each other and when the police are called I would presume that some kind of violent outcome would be inevitable. The figures I used are from 2016, but I doubt if the figures will have moved much towards a more positive reflection. FBI statistics:

If you are a young black African American frightened to be out driving after dark then race plays an issue and this needs addressing.
I would say that if you are a young black African American, and the prevalence of violent crime is committed by that race in that area then they would be rightly concerned about driving out into the night and not just from the police.

No one should have to live in fear. It shouldn't be that way, but once again it's a reality check. If the roles were reversed the same reasoning would apply.

We all know that there are very poor neighbourhoods, we have them in the UK, just like most countries will have. But that's no excuse for being involved in crimes. More needs to be done to redress poorer neighbourhoods, I'm all for that, but it doesn't help matters when race is being portrayed as the defining factor and everyone else is being declared a racist to mitigate and deflect from the crimes committed.
The way to tackle it is with education. We need to talk about it in schools, we need to tell our young people that everybody is the same and it doesn't matter what colour their skin is. We, as parents have that responsibility to make the world a better place for everybody and until people of colour aren't being persecuted any more - we will never be equal.
I am with you on this 110% but it needs to be taught with care otherwise it can lead to even more problems, especially if white people are being portrayed as being white supremacists. Before that can begin the media need to get onboard and stop manipulating the news to promote division.

I 110% believe that everyone should be treat the same, but that requires everyone to behave the same towards each other - sadly that doesn't happen and I find it a shameful indictment on humanity that that's the way it is. We have big beautiful world with room for everyone and it would be a monument to humanity if we could all get along.

As an aside, I have black friends, Pakistani friends and worked for a Pakistani company for five years and spent many a night out with these friends when I worked away from home. There are nice people out there in all races, just as there are some downright rotten apples and it's the rotten ones that need to be ousted (regardless of colour).

It's highly unlikely that crime will ever be eradicated, but if you belong to a race that is perpetrating the highest percentage of crimes then you will regrettably fall under the radar of the authorities as a matter of course. Again, it shouldn't be that way, but it's another reality check and whilst people shouldn't be tarred with the same brush, sometimes it happens.

Lee

I'll see you in Valhalla!
Community Leader
It's highly unlikely that crime will ever be eradicated, but if you belong to a race that is perpetrating the highest percentage of crimes then you will regrettably fall under the radar of the authorities as a matter of course. Again, it shouldn't be that way, but it's another reality check and whilst people shouldn't be tarred with the same brush, sometimes it happens.
And this is the sort of mentality that needs to be eradicated from the police force. q

Lee

I'll see you in Valhalla!
Community Leader
I'm not sure where the rest of my message ended up, but I had typed a lengthy one and it seems to be lost. Haha.

If I get a chance, I will try and put it together again later on... bit narked off that it seems to of been "lost in cyberspace" though! Oh well...