Have you ever owned or ran a server?

Soulwatcher

Currently I have a Dell PowerEdge T40 server, and It hosts my Minecraft server and my websites. There is nothing cooler than having your own server. What about you? Have you ever owned or ran a server?

Dave

Nope. I have dabbled with the notion of moving to a VPS, but it's an area I am unfamiliar with so it would probably pose more of a minefield for me than letting someone else take care of the server maintenance and software updates. I do wish, however, that my hosting company would pull their socks up and get up-to-date with their database options. MySQL 5.7 isn't exactly cutting edge lol. They have, however, after many years of banging on at them increased the database size to 2GB instead of 1GB - still measly but at least they're moving in the right direction - I just wish they'd assume the role of the hare rather than the tortoise ;)

Lee

I'll see you in Valhalla!
Community Leader
Who are you using for hosting, Dave?

I used to run and maintain my own server in my teenage years of which I hosted a small gaming forum for a group of friends. Nothing in the last 20 years though.

Dave

Who are you using for hosting, Dave?
I'm hosting with Ionos (formerly 1and1). I can't say that I can fault them in terms of uptime, though they do seem to be very slowing in updating to the latest versions of software. At least that's on their shared hosting plans, which I'm on.

I'm tempted by their VPS offerings as they seem to be more up-to-date and are pretty good value for what's on offer - this is the one I'm drawn to:

1617462923058.png

Options are:
1617462968366.png

Plesk is available at no extra cost using any of the linux flavours shown.

I've hosted with these people for 20 years and never had any major issues with them, so I deem them trustworthy.

PGen98

Title Custom
Community Leader
I could never afford my own server, but it is a dream for my own at home NAS one of these days (well, honestly I'd just like a Synology NAS device, but a server would be great!), though far outside of my present budget.

I did used to run a dedicated server when I was younger for my websites, ridiculous expensive and I was an idiot for doing it. Now I'm on a VPS package and enjoying it. I'm planning on moving, though, because my host has gotten pricier than I can realistically afford, in spite of their great service.

PGen98

Title Custom
Community Leader
What sort of website do you run @PGen98 ?
Down the years I've had several, staring with general chat forums, then a website dedicated entirely to gameshark hacking on the N64 with a specific focus on the games WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and WWF No Mercy, that migrated into a general gaming forum, which became yet another general chat forum. Then I shut that down (hit about 2,000 members and 300,000 posts) and started a new venture that I called gadgetverse, aimed at all things gadgetry and tech. It didn't quite take off as I'd hoped, so it only reached about 200 members, so after a couple of years that shut down, as well. I took a break here and focused on just posting on other forums and helping out, but eventually I got the itch to run another site and after joining the forum of a YouTuber who played EA's NHL hockey series (one of my favourite games :)), I realized how toxic his community was, started chatting with a small group of people there who felt the same, and then took the step to get back into the forum game by starting up a separate forum just for those of us who wanted to get away from that site. It's grown a little bit to include some friends from other sites and anyone who happens across it, but for the most part it's still just that same core of members. The forum side has actually died down a bit, but we're closing in on 400,000 messages in the chat, which isn't too bad.

Been in and around forums since 1996 (back when Infopop was Madrona Park, Inc), so I like to keep my hands in as much as possible :)

Reactions: Lee