How dangerous is alcohol?

Henrywrites

New Comer
There are some medical experts that claim that drinking alcohol can be dangerous to one's health. I have seen people that drink alcohol living happy and fine. This makes me wonder, what these experts mean when they advise against drinking alcohol.

PGen98

I, Am I?
Community Leader
Drinking in moderation is fine, drinking excessively is when it becomes problematic. When it's a one time, blow out sort of thing, ok, but people who drink to excess constantly can destroy their livers, destroy their lives, potentially destroy others' lives. Not going to go on a diatribe about drunk driving, that's not the issue here, but alcohol, used to excess, is a TERRIBLE thing. Alcohol used in moderation and with caution is fine.

Henrywrites

New Comer
Drinking in moderation is fine, drinking excessively is when it becomes problematic. When it's a one time, blow out sort of thing, ok, but people who drink to excess constantly can destroy their livers, destroy their lives, potentially destroy others' lives. Not going to go on a diatribe about drunk driving, that's not the issue here, but alcohol, used to excess, is a TERRIBLE thing. Alcohol used in moderation and with caution is fine.

I believe that this might have been the point of the medical experts. Anything doing in excess is not always good and same goes with drinking to stupor. The challenge comes up when one is unable to control how they drink.

Lee

Can't get enough...!
Community Leader
I do not drink daily, but when I do I cannot stop and I binge. I have been known to drink for 3 - 4 days constantly without rest and then not touch another drop for months. Cycle repeats.

I find it really hard to stop and 1 drink can be enough to trigger the binge.

Dave

I just read an article in my daily newspaper that a pint of beer a day can help keep the doctor at bay lol. Alcohol consumed in moderation is OK depending on your medications, but binging or drinking to excess will kill your kidneys and liver.

I'm not allowed to drink now because I have been diagnosed with fatty liver disease, it's manageable and not currently life-threatening, but I have to be careful what I eat and drink. This is probably the result of my mad weekend binges back in the day when you could have a really good night out for a fiver lol.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lee

Ash

As with anything, as long as you can control how much you take in, I'm sure you will be fine. If you're drinking huge amounts everyday, then it's a bit of an issue