Panic Attacks Nervous Eating

SafeInSanity

Angel In Training
When people you live with are always watching what you eat and keeping track of what you eat. Then they put you down and say you eat too much. My mom does that to me all the time and not only does it make me feel bad about myself but it makes me want to eat more because I feel guilty eating around her and it makes me want to sneak food. She always bitches at me for other things too and when I get nervous I tend to eat more. I consider it a form of verbal and mental abuse. It doesn't help when somebody is always putting you down about your weight. 😟

PGen98

I, Am I?
Community Leader
Oh absolutely, I eat when I get anxious, and that's a horrible thing to do. I have a whole pile of chewing gum next to me at my desk just in case I find myself getting anxious, and it dwindles so very quickly!

What your mother doing could definitely be seen as a form of mental abuse if she knows she's having that impact on you, but have you told her that's how you feel when she makes those comments and watches you like that? She could very well think she's trying to motivate you, as some people seem to think that helps, but unless she knows you feel awful when she does it, she's not likely to change.

SafeInSanity

Angel In Training
Safe I am sorry to hear this, why do people do this to people they supposedly love?! I would tell her to mind her own business.
Oh I do all the time but she don't listen or care. I guess It makes her feel stronger when I feel like crap about myself.

PGen98

I, Am I?
Community Leader
Oh I do all the time but she don't listen or care. I guess It makes her feel stronger when I feel like crap about myself.
Almost sounds like a warped version of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy...trying to keep you down to feel better herself.

Catsmother

Don't mess with The Catsmother!
When people you live with are always watching what you eat and keeping track of what you eat. Then they put you down and say you eat too much. My mom does that to me all the time and not only does it make me feel bad about myself but it makes me want to eat more because I feel guilty eating around her and it makes me want to sneak food. She always bitches at me for other things too and when I get nervous I tend to eat more. I consider it a form of verbal and mental abuse. It doesn't help when somebody is always putting you down about your weight. 😟
This is huge pet peeve of mine especially by a parent.

Lammchen

I don't think parents realize that attacking is not the way to correct someone's behavior. She probably could have used other methods to get you to curb your eating such as suggesting you two go out for a walk together or maybe just sit outside and chat. Redirection is better than humiliation.