Television Squid Game

Ash

Active User
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 2 Votes
Title: Squid Game

Genre: Action & Adventure, Mystery, Drama

First aired: 2021-09-17

Creator: Hwang Dong-hyuk

Cast: Lee Jung-jae, Park Hae-soo, Jung Ho-yeon, Wi Ha-jun, Oh Young-soo, Heo Sung-tae, Kim Joo-ryoung, Anupam Tripathi, Lee You-mi

Overview: Hundreds of cash-strapped players accept a strange invitation to compete in children's games. Inside, a tempting prize awaits — with deadly high stakes.

Ash

Active User
Has anyone watched this yet? Wasn't sure what to think about it at first but I am loving it so far. Can't wait to find out how S1 ends.

Lee

Can't get enough...!
Community Leader
I watched the first bit of the first episode, but couldn’t get in to it. Will try again though.

Ash

Active User
I watched the first bit of the first episode, but couldn’t get in to it. Will try again though.
A few people have felt the same. I think the only thing I can say is to maybe stick with it for just a bit longer. Once the games start properly, it's a lot more interesting

Kyng

A few people have felt the same. I think the only thing I can say is to maybe stick with it for just a bit longer. Once the games start properly, it's a lot more interesting
Yeah, I found that too. The games themselves don't start until about three-quarters of the way through the first episode (everything before that is basically just setup).

I was a bit 'eh' on it at first - but, once the games started, I loved it :D .

gibby

I thought this was brilliant, like some have said bit of a slow start but after that I was hooked,! I give it 5 stars

Kyng

Glad you liked it :D !

Now, here are a few predictions I made for season 2 (though I obviously can't do that without going into heavy spoilers for season 1):

• Seong Gi-hun (Player #456) will work to bring down the games. Not a particularly bold prediction, since this is set up at the end of season 1 :p . However, he probably won't be able to do it alone, so he'll have to recruit a team. Maybe he could get in contact with some winners of past Squid Games - or even the 14 players who didn't return when the games were resumed? (Remember that 201 players were left when the games were terminated, and only 187 came back; I really thought we were going to see the remaining 14 again at some point, but we never did!)
  • With Oh Il-nam (Player #001) dead, his wife and/or son will take over as the host of the games. He mentions a couple of times during the games that he has (or had) a wife and son, but we never got to see them. There are some people who theorise that Gi-hun might be Il-nam's son... but, personally, I hope this isn't true. Since hardly any important characters are left alive at the end of season 1, they're going to have to establish a lot of new characters at the beginning of season 2 - and it'd be nice if some of these were related to the main characters from season 1 (or indeed, people who had been mentioned within season 1 itself!)
  • Hwang Jun-ho (the detective) survives and continues his mission. Towards the end of season 1, he was shot in the shoulder and he fell off a cliff. In the real world, this would be almost certain to kill someone... but in fiction, the key word here is the word 'almost', especially since we never saw his dead body :p . And besides, like I just said, hardly any of the main characters from season 1 are still alive - so they'll want to bring back anyone they reasonably can!!!
  • We'll see another round of games. Again, not a particularly bold prediction, since it's what the series is about :p . However, I am interested in whether the games themselves will be the same, or whether they'll be different. Perhaps they could adopt Sid Meier's "rule of thirds": one-third kept, one-third tweaked, one-third new :p . If we applied this to Squid Game, there are six games - so, two would be staying the same; two would be modified in some way; and two would be replaced altogether.
  • The homeless man (from the end of Season 1) will be the protagonist of Season 2's games. He's obviously fallen on some rather hard times... he's exactly the kind of person who would be recruited into the games :p . Furthermore, he's the only potential future player who's already been established by the end of the series (unless a previous player returns, or the guy who had his card stolen from him by Gi-hun gets another one!).

So, my thinking is, the season will have two major plot threads: the homeless man trying to get through the games, and Gi-hun trying to take the games down (with assistance from past players; Hwang Jun-ho if he's still alive; and so on :p )
  • And the big one: Front Man will have a redemption arc. I think we saw the beginning of this at the end of season 1, when he was haunted by his brother after shooting him off the cliff. But maybe this will play out to completion in season 2. We know he participated in (and won) the 2015 games - and we also know that past winners are kept under surveillance by the masters of the games (they're keeping an eye on Gi-hun even after he won). So maybe he took the 'Front Man' role as a means of escaping from this surveillance. And perhaps he got along well with Il-nam... but he falls out with the new host, and flips over to Gi-hun's side. It'd be hard to pull this off convincingly, but I don't think it'd be completely impossible!

Ash

Active User
Definitely agree with point number 3 @Kyng.

I think the brother purposefully shot him in a part of the body that wouldn't kill him. And as we know, if you don't see the dead body, they're not dead!

Lammchen

My husband and I binged watch this!! It was eerily addiction and super intense. I am not sure I would watch the next season of it because I would have been more satisfied if it had just ended at a certain point and it would have really been more successful in my head.

Ash

Active User
My husband and I binged watch this!! It was eerily addiction and super intense. I am not sure I would watch the next season of it because I would have been more satisfied if it had just ended at a certain point and it would have really been more successful in my head.
Yeah, it would have been satisfactory for them to just end it there. But it will be interesting to see and learn more about what happened in the past especially with the current frontman.

Kyng

Yeah, I'm not sure about the second season either. I'll still watch it - but, the first season set such a high bar that I'm not sure if the second season will be able to live up to it. (Especially since they're going to need a new set of characters, for the most part!!!)

Lammchen

Yeah, I'm not sure about the second season either. I'll still watch it - but, the first season set such a high bar that I'm not sure if the second season will be able to live up to it. (Especially since they're going to need a new set of characters, for the most part!!!)

Yeah, that's the bad part about a killing movie is that people can't usually return for another season :D I'll miss some of those characters too!

Ash

Active User
I do wonder if we will get at least one of the main characters back. Hopefully they don't do it but I know a few people like to think that Sae Byeok will return since we didn't see her die "properly".

Lammchen

I do wonder if we will get at least one of the main characters back. Hopefully they don't do it but I know a few people like to think that Sae Byeok will return since we didn't see her die "properly".

I agree! I'd also love to see the cop brother show up because even though it looked as if he died, they didn't show him being dead. So that always was in the back of my mind and I'd love to see him return and do something big.

Ash

Active User
I agree! I'd also love to see the cop brother show up because even though it looked as if he died, they didn't show him being dead. So that always was in the back of my mind and I'd love to see him return and do something big.
I would love to see him back too. I know a lot of people have predicted that the frontman purposefully shot him in a place on the body that wouldn't kill him.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database