• You may opt out from viewing this content at any time.

UK minimum wage rise

Lee

I'll see you in Valhalla!
Community Leader
Community Helper
Bronze Pieces
Silver Pieces
Gold Pieces

A minimum wage rise for UK workers.

This still doesn't bring pay in line with living costs, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.

Dave

Bronze Pieces
Silver Pieces
Gold Pieces
I believe the wording says it all 'minimum wage' with emphasis on the word 'minimum'. Without help many would be on the streets, joining the hoards that already exist there. The 'real' living wage is a lot more than the 'minimum' - I'd like to see some of the wealthy try to eek out a living on £8.91 an hour and that's just for the 23 year olds and over, those under get even less.

JennyorAlice

Bronze Pieces
Silver Pieces
Gold Pieces
The down side to raising the minimum wage is that everyone else will raise their prices so it pretty much cancels out your raise. For example, you'll see an increase in price in the groceries you normally buy because they're also having to pay their employees more money.

Ash

Bronze Pieces
Silver Pieces
Gold Pieces
The prices of things have been increasing anyway without people getting wage rises. House prices have increased massively over here in the UK which has made it even more difficult for people to get on the property ladder. Not sure if wage rises will affect that more but it's definitely a good first step.

willowtigger

Bronze Pieces
Silver Pieces
Gold Pieces
The people in power don't care though, as long as they are okay they think the rest of us can rot.

They should encourage employers to give more than minimum wage to employees.